Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Allegan County
Friend of the Court

113 Chestnut St.
P.O. Box 358
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (877) 543-2660
Fax: (269) 673-0322

Email Us - General Questions ONLY
(NOT for Case-Specific Complaints)

8:00am - 5:00pm
Monday - Friday


Mother and childThe conciliation process is designed to inform and assist those parents who need to address issues involving their children. Those issues include custody, parenting time, and child support. Those problems and concerns are approached in a comprehensive and educational manner. A third party conciliator works with the parties in an attempt to formulate mutually acceptable solutions. The Conciliation Conference is tailored to deal with each unique case. Discussions will relate directly to the current family situation. The focus will be on the best interests of the children.
When applicable, the following steps will be taken after a "Summons and Compliant" form involving minor children has been submitted to the Court:
Step 1:
After Proof of Service and order of the Court, the Friend of the Court office will send letters and questionnaires to each party requiring them to meet at the Friend of the Court office. Parties will be scheduled to meet with the conciliator as soon as practicable. EXCEPTIONS: If an order has been entered by the Court that addresses custody, parenting time and child support, and there is no objection to that order, a Conciliation Conference will not be held.
Step 2:
Parties will meet with the Conciliator on their scheduled date for the Conciliation Conference. The issues of custody, parenting time and support will be discussed based on each individual case.
Step 3:
The Conciliator will follow the outlined conciliation program allowing the parties to actively participate by asking questions, stating their positions, concerns etc.
Step 4:
The Conciliator will offer information and discuss issues with the parties while maintaining the focus on the best interests of the child or children.
Step 5:
A temporary order may be submitted to the Court for signature with or without the parties having reached an agreement. The parties will have fourteen (14) days to object to the proposed order.