Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Delinquency FAQs


​Unless a delinquency proceeding is placed on the informal docket (e.g. diversion or consent calendar), the proceeding is open to the public.


​No.  You must take affirmative steps to have your adjudications set aside in order to clear your juvenile record.


​Juvenile adjudications are no longer public through the Michigan State Police Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).  However, parts of a delinquency file, including a record of the adjudication, are public records, so any future employer is free to review those records through the Court.


​If a juvenile is adjudicated of a Tier III offense, the juvenile must register for life on Michigan’s Sex Offender Registry.  The registry for juveniles is nonpublic.


​No.  Delinquency proceedings are civil proceedings, not criminal proceedings.  However, a juvenile respondent is afforded the same substantial rights as a criminal defendant.


​In certain cases, the Court can hold a parent jointly responsible for the payment of restitution.  Fines and costs remain the responsibility of the juvenile.  In cases where the juvenile turns 18 and has outstanding fines, costs, and restitution, failure to pay may result in the issuance of a bench warrant for the juvenile.



If you have further questions, please contact the Family Court Clerk’s Office at (269) 673-0534.