Order a Birth Certificate
Allegan County can provide birth certificates only for individuals actually born in this county. We have birth records beginning in 1867.
PLEASE NOTE: The only people who have the authority to request a birth certificate would be the child and/or either parent named on the certificate. (The child must be at least 15 years of age to request their own record.) The exceptions are: a legal guardian with guardianship papers signed by a judge, an heir with documentation that the individual is deceased, or in the case where the individual would be more than 110 years old. Certified copies of birth certificates can be ordered by mail or by visiting our office.
Home Birth Registrations:
Please call in advance to make appointment for Home Birth Registrations at 269-673-0450
Bring in completed Michigan Live Birth Worksheet (pink sheet)
Drivers license for parent who brings the baby to our office - both parents are welcome to come
Signed & notarized Affidavit of Parentage if unmarried
To make a request via mail:
- Complete the Application for a Certified Copy of a Birth Record (below).
Information must be complete and legible. Missing information may cause your request to be delayed or denied.
- Include a photocopy of your driver’s license or State ID - (If you don't have a driver's license or State ID, see list below of other acceptable documentation that we will accept)
- Include the appropriate fee – ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE - refer to the Fee Schedule on this page
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request.
- Mail to:
Allegan County Clerk
113 Chestnut Street
Allegan, MI 49010
- All requests are processed the day they are received and go out return mail the next business day.
To pick up a certified copy in person:
- Bring your driver’s license or State ID
- Fees are payable by cash, check, money order, credit or debit card (a service charge is applied to all credit or debit transactions) – ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE - refer to the Fee Schedule on this page
**TO OBTAIN COPY IN PERSON YOU NEED TO CALL OUR OFFICE TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT AT 269-673-0450 WALK-INS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME**
|$10 for first copy; $4 for each additional (all copies are certified)||Applies to birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses. Service charge is applied to all credit or debit transactions.|