- You must apply for the license in the county where you reside.
- You can apply no more than 33 days before your ceremony.
- If both applicants reside in Allegan County, you must apply through our office.
- If the applicants live in two different counties, they have the option of applying in either county. In this case, the Allegan County resident must be present to make application.*
- Your driver's license or State-issued ID must reflect an Allegan County address.
- If both applicants are 21-years of age or older, only one must appear in person to make application.
- Applicants age 18 - 20 must appear in person and provide proof of age.
- Applicants age 16 - 17 must appear in person with custodial parent.
- Applicants under age 16 must apply in Probate Court.
- The license can be used anywhere in the State of Michigan.
*Office procedures vary from county to county, so if you plan to apply through another county, please contact their office to confirm their procedures.
**ALLEGAN COUNTY RESIDENTS - PLEASE FILL OUT APPLICATION AND EMAIL BACK TO OUR OFFICE ALONG WITH COPIES OF BOTH DRIVERS LICENSES. ONCE WE RECEIVE THE COMPLETED PAPERWORK WE WILL CALL TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT. EMAIL DOCUMENTS TO: VITALRECORDS@ALLEGANCOUNTY.ORG
To Apply – Allegan County Residents
- You will be asked to present your driver's license or State-issued ID to verify Allegan County residency.
- You will be given a Marriage License Application worksheet to complete. You can also access the form via the link below, complete it at your leisure, and bring it in to our office with you.
- If there is enough time for the license to reach you via regular mail following the 3-day wait, it can be mailed.
- Or the license can be picked up Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. following the 3-day wait.
- You must apply for the license in the county where your ceremony will take place.
PLEASE NOTE: Both applicants must be out-of-state residents. If one or the other applicant possess a Michigan driver's license, you must apply for the marriage license in the county reflected by address shown on that drivers' license.
To Apply - Out of State Residents
Complete out of state resident application below and remit to our office with required documentation.
Or call our office to have an application mailed or emailed directly to you.