Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Vital Records : MarriageLicenseApp
Allegan County Clerk - Vital Records Office
113 Chestnut Street
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (269) 673-0450
Fax: (269) 686-5374

8:00am - 5:00pm
Monday - Friday

County Clerk-Register of Deeds: Bob Genetski

Apply for a Michigan Marriage License

Michigan Residents

  • You must apply for the license in the county where you reside.
  • You can apply no more than 33 days before your ceremony.
  • If both applicants reside in Allegan County, you must apply through our office.
  • If the applicants live in two different counties, they have the option of applying in either county.  In this case, the Allegan County resident must be present to make application.*
  • Your driver's license or State-issued ID must reflect an Allegan County address.
  • If both applicants are 21-years of age or older, only one must appear in person to make application. 
  • Applicants age 18 - 20 must appear in person and provide proof of age.
  • Applicants age 16 - 17 must appear in person with custodial parent.
  • Applicants under age 16 must apply in Probate Court.
  • The license can be used anywhere in the State of Michigan.
*Office procedures vary from county to county, so if you plan to apply through another county, please contact their office to confirm their procedures.

To Apply – Allegan County Residents

  • You will be asked to present your driver's license or State-issued ID to verify Allegan County residency.
  • You will be given a Marriage License Application worksheet to complete.  You can also access the form via the link below, complete it at your leisure, and bring it in to our office with you.
  • If there is enough time for the license to reach you via regular mail following the 3-day wait, it can be mailed.
  • Or the license can be picked up Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. following the 3-day wait.

Out-of-State Residents

  • You must apply for the license in the county where your ceremony will take place.
    PLEASE NOTE:  Both applicants must be out-of-state residents.  If one or the other applicant possess a Michigan driver's license, you must apply for the marriage license in the county reflected by address shown on that drivers' license. 



To Apply - Out of State Residents

  • Complete out of state resident application below and remit to our office with required documentation. 

  • Or call our office to have an application mailed or emailed directly to you.



 Vital Records Forms

Out of State Brochure.pdf
Out of State Resident Application-Letter.pdf




Michigan Residents-$20
Out-of-State Residents-$30




 Marriage Resources

District Court website