Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Yes. With a few exceptions, the state Food Law, Act 92, prohibits a person from operating a food service establishment unless licensed and inspected by the designated regulatory authority.


​Possibly; food is anything that can be consumed by humans which includes beverages and ice. Prior to selling beverages, the Health Department must be consulted to determine whether a license is required.


​Yes. The requirements of the Food Law remain the same. Food/beverage offered to the public must be stored, prepared and handled in the same safe manner whether it is sold or given away.


Private homes cannot be licensed as a food service establishment. The FDA Food Code states: “A private home, a room used as living or sleeping quarters, or an area directly opening into a room used as living or sleeping quarters may not be used for conducting food establishment operations.” In addition, room finishing materials and equipment must be commercial grade and meet specific construction, durability and cleaning requirements

Michigan Cottage Food Law, allows for non-potentially hazardous food to be produced in private homes.  Information on the Michigan Cottage Food Law may be found at:


​All new food service establishments must undergo a plan review process before a license is granted. A completed plan review application along with equipment specifications, standard operating procedures, menu, and scaled floor plans must be submitted for review and approval by the local health department.


​No. Food service licenses are issued to a specific owner and to a specific address therefore are not transferable to another person or to another location. A Change of Ownership Application is required to be completed and submitted to the local health department.


​Yes. New and remodeled facilities are required to submit plans and specifications to the local Health Department for review and approval prior to the start of construction.


​Yes. Before adding, removing or replacing equipment the Health Department must be consulted to determine if proposed changes will meet Food Code requirements.


​YES as long as the facility is licensed. It can be licensed as a Fixed Food Service Establishment or as a Temporary Food Service Establishment. Another option is prepare ALL foods at home. Home-prepared foods by nonprofits do NOT require a license.


​The same applies to ALL on-site preparation of food. Any time that food is prepared on the site it must be licensed.