Healthy People 2020
Determinants of Health
- View a video
- What makes some people healthy and others unhealthy?
- How can we create a society in which everyone has a chance to live long healthy lives?
- Healthy People 2020 are exploring these questions by:
- Developing objectives that address the relationship between health status and biology, individual behavior, health services, social factors, and policies
- Emphasizing an ecological approach to disease prevention and health promotion. An ecological approach focuses on both individual-level and population-level determinants of health and interventions
About Determinants of Health
The range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health.
Determinants of health fall under several broad categories:
It is the interrelationships among these factors that determine individual and population health. Because of this, interventions that target multiple determinants of health are most likely to be effective. Determinants of health reach beyond the boundaries of traditional health care and public health sectors; sectors such as education, housing, transportation, agriculture, and environment can be important allies in improving population health.
Join the Partnership for a Healthy Allegan County to help implement 2020 objectives:
The Partnership for a Healthy Allegan County's mission is to serves the on-going process to identify risk factors of Allegan County residents; they are to prioritize prevention & intervention related services. This committee is composed of individuals with a stake in the welfare of Allegan County. They are working towards the development & maintenance of good health & the well-being of all its citizens. This community partnership will serve as a clearinghouse for behavioral risk data as it pertains to Allegan County, the State of Michigan & the United States as a whole. The Partnership consists of representatives from health care, hospitals, human services agencies, community-based organizations, schools, faith based organizations, non-profit organizations, county government, judiciary, law enforcement, & the community at large. Contact Kathy Yonkers-Wright, RDH, MS, Chair of the Partnership at firstname.lastname@example.org
to inquire about this coalition.