Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)
What is CSHCS?
Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program within the Michigan Department of Community Health.
It is for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families. We help persons with chronic health problems by providing:
- Coverage and Referral for specialty services, based on your child's health problems.
- Family-Centered Services to support you in your role as the primary caretaker of your child.
- Community-Based Services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
- Culturally Competent Services that demonstrate an awareness of cultural differences.
- Coordinated Services to pull together the services of many providers who work within different agencies.
Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be between the ages of 0 - 21.
Persons over 21 with cystic fibrosis or certain blood clotting disorders may also qualify for services.
CSHCS covers more than 2,000 diagnoses. Some medical conditions that may qualify for CSHCS are:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cleft Palate, Cleft Lip
- Liver Disease
- Club Foot
- Deformed Limbs, Amputations
- Myelodysplasia, Spinal Bifida
- Kidney Disease
- Certain Vision Disorders
- Cystic Fibrosis, other Chronic Lung Conditions
- Hearing Loss
- Insulin-Dependent Diabetes
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Certain Heart Conditions
- Epilepsy, Hydrocephalus
- Neurological Disorders
- Sickle Cell Anemia
Why Should I join CSHCS?
We work with you to ensure that you or your child receive the very best care. We help you with:
- Paying specialty medical bills
- Coordinating services from multiple providers
- Learning about specialty providers like doctors, hospitals and clinics
- Coordinating health insurance benefits
- Covering co-pays or deductibles
How do I Join CSHCS?
Ask your child's specialist to send a report about your child's condition to us.
Your child's medical condition, not your income, determines if you qualify for this program.
If your child qualifies, he or she will be invited to join the program. An application will be mailed to you. A review of this application will determine if we will ask you to share in the cost of services.