The Probate Court has jurisdiction over the following matters:
- Deceased Estates
- Guardianships for Minors and Adults
- Conservatorships for Minors and Adults
- Mental Health Proceedings
- Delayed Registrations of Foreign Birth
- Drain appeals
The Probate Court also handles a variety of other matters. These include the following:
- Petitions for Protective Orders, which are typically one-time requests for the Court to allow or approve some action, such as approval of a settlement.
- Various civil actions, in which one party is suing another party. These cases are just like cases in circuit or district court, except usually a trust, estate, or fiduciary is one of the parties, so the proceeding has some relation to the regular business of the Probate Court.
- Finally, the Probate Court holds Wills for safekeeping and handles drain appeals and secret marriages.